home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Lessons learned from the High Point Jerk

I had a complete Julia Roberts/Pretty Woman moment at High Point Market last week that left me all hot and bothered. I met my local sales rep from a hoity toity furniture line (which shall remain nameless because that's what's right, but I really, really feel like calling them out) and the man completely sized me up.

After a few measly minutes of small talk, he went on to tell me they prefer to do business with "high-end designers" and "we don't really serve the hobbyist who's attorney husband just happened to get her a tax ID." (Btw, my husband's not an attorney and he had nothing to do with my tax ID.) His proclamation was met with a blank stare by me since I wasn't quick enough to have a good retort and I was appalled that he was being so blatantly discriminating. He then said he had an appointment but we could look around the showroom if we still wanted to.

I was ready to hightail it out of there but my friend's curiosity had been peaked and she wanted to go in, so in we went. They had pretty things, but the line didn't fit my personal aesthetic so, once again, I was ready to get out of there asap.

It's been 4 days since this event and I still can't shake this man's rude behavior. Instead of letting this fester, I've decided it needs to be turned into something positive. Hence, my takeaway...

Lessons learned from the High Point Jerk
1. It's always important to be nice to others even if they don't appear to bring in a fat paycheck.
2. Don't assume anything about anyone, you may just be cutting your nose to spite your face.
3. A little bit of respect goes a long way.
4. Don't try to make yourself feel better by putting others down.
5. Kindness matters!

So, Mr. High Point friend, let me remind you how Julia Robert's story ends...Do you work on commission?! ;)

6 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

ooooh man i feel ya!!!!! i've had similar incidents and i just always want to go in and say "big mistake! HUGE!"

pam {simple details} said...

SO rude!! I think you should email him a copy of this post, any bets if he'd apologize? :)

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...

OMG that is horrible. Douchebag (my favorite word)! I'm dying to know what furniture line it was ;)

Abby said...

Wow! I would be tempted to call them out or at least contact the company about the sales rep. That is so offensive and based on nothing. What an a**

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Things I learned from Dana's post:

Rudeness doesn't always require a snarky comment in retort, no matter how deserved.

(I really am working on that...)

Julie said...

Good for you for taking the high road, which is so hard to do sometimes. At the end of the day, you are the one who can look in the mirror and know you have class ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips