home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Childish taste with a tween vision

I just signed a contract with my best client yet...my 9 y.o. daughter! She's hired me to redecorate her room and she has very specific needs/wants. I think I'm up for the challenge and I'm inviting you along for the ride. 

 At our first meeting, we sat down and poured over color schemes. She has very unique taste and is not your typical girly-girl. Something I love about her! So far, we're leaning towards these awesome colors that come straight from nature, a.k.a. Macaw feathers.

Oh yes, you read that right, a woodland room. My daughter has an intense love for little creatures. She would have a room full of rodents if we'd let her. So instead of buying the stinky real deal, we've reached a compromise and decided to bring in her passion through her decor. Hence, the little mouse fabric shown above which will more than likely don a special little pillow.

Only three purchases have actually been made towards her room redo thus far, so the end result might end up looking nothing like the picture above. It'll be fun to look back when the big reveal is made and make a few comparisons. 

The design challenge I'm facing is creating a room that will "grow" with her. This woodland room could very quickly turn into a nursery if we're not careful with our selections. I'm hoping to avoid this design dilemma by only accenting with the "little girl" items and keeping the main bones of the room something that could easily transition into her tween years. 

I've got a few over the top ideas floating around in my head! I cannot wait to get started. You'll be happy to know that my power tool skills will be stretched greatly during this project. 

So friends, what do you think? Are we headed in the right direction or does it scream nursery?

Do you need someone to create something unique and different in your home? Contact me. I'd love to help you!

11 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

you know i love me woodland since that is what i am doing in emmy's room! :)

pam {simple details} said...

I have no doubt it won't scream nursery when you're finished! I have an idea I know what will be showing up on a wall, too! :)

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Since I am knee deep in hot pink paint I am really loving your woodland scheme!!! Looking forward to seeing this come together, Dana!

rachel @ Just a Touch of Gray said...

So cute! I bet it's going to look great!!!

Melissa Blake said...

I'd loooove this scheme for my room! You're daughter is lucky she has you!

Holly Gruszka said...

A fun client you have! And I love her choice of color palettes too. I wasn't a girly girl growing up either so I can definitely appreciate that. I think you've got it right by choosing fun accents and classic pieces for bedding that this will be a great room for a while that she'll love.

designchic said...

A very important client indeed...love the direction and that it's not the typical girly pink..can't wait to follow along!!

Allie & Chris said...

i love the color inspiration! so amazing! i seriously love your work and love your blog!

follow mine, if you wish of course...

http://allieandhusband.blogspot.com

allie

Elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Ooh, love the color palette your daughter chose. I know it will turn out beautiful when you put your stamp on it Dana. I can't wait to see it.

Carly Haslee said...

What a great new client you have :) I have no doubt that it will not look like a nursery but just right for said fabulous client. So excited to see more inspiration for the room!

the almost 40 year old intern said...

hey dana! thanks for the sweet comment on myblog. i sent you an email per your request. xo, holly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips